What's In a Name?
Each Quester chapter, upon charter, chooses a name to identify itself with a person or location of historical significance.
Royal Joy Williams, Whose family name gave its name to Williams Bay, Wisconsin, came to Walworth County in 1836. The same year the Potawatomi native Americans were removed from Geneva lake by a government wagon train to a reservation near the present city of Lawrence, Kansas. The Williams farm was on the northwestern shore of the bay and all 200 acres are a part of the Village of Williams Bay today. Royal's middle name, "Joy" is a part of the Quester motto "It's fun to search and a joy to find."
Southern Wisconsin, of which Rock County is the center, is known as the “Land of Blackhawk”. During the War of 1812, Black Hawk, the American Indian Warrior, had fought on the side of the British against the U.S., hoping to push white American settlers away from Sauk territory. Later, he led a band of Sauk and Fox warriors, known as the British Band, against European-American settlers in Illinois and present-day Wisconsin, including the Janesville area, in the 1832 Black Hawk War. After the war, he was captured by U.S. forces and taken to the eastern U.S. He and other war leaders were taken on tour of several cities.
-As per Wikipedia
Blooming Prairie - Blooming Prairie School is located in the Park of the Walworth County Fairgrounds in Elkhorn, Wisconsin. This one room schoolhouse was built in 1889 and was the first school in Walworth County. It has been restored and is currently open for students and visitors to participate in hands-on learning experiences 1889 style.
Our chapter has members who live throughout Walworth County. We chose the name Blooming Prairie as a tribute to the 120 year old school in our area. Our county is also known for its carpet of blooming flowers in the springtime.
Capitol - This largely Madison-based chapter is named in honor of the government seat of our state.
Carrie Jacobs Bond - Carrie Jacobs Bond was born on August 11, 1862 in Janesville, WI. She was married at the age of 18 to Mr. E. J. Smith with whom she had a son named Frank. After seven years they were separated. She was later married in 1887 to Dr. Frank Lewis Bond. He died in 1895. She was the owner of the publishing company, "The Bond Shop", located in Chicago. She published a collection of her songs called "Songs Everybody Sings" and a memoir titled "The Roads to Melody". Her most well known songs were "I Love You Truly" and "A Perfect Day". She died on December 8, 1946 in Glendale, CA at the age of 84.
Opera star Jessie Davis helped her publish her Seven Songs Collection in 1901. Carried performed for Theodore Roosevelt, gave a recital in England with Enrico Caruso and a series of recitals in New York City. During WWI she gave concerts in Europe for U. S Army troops. In 1941 The General Federation of Women's Clubs cited her for contributions to the progress of women during the 20th Century. (This paragraph from Wikipedia online.)
Heritage Trails - There is so much more in a name than merely a label. When we chapter members of the newest Wisconsin Questers chapter (as of September 3, 1992) set about identifying our organization, many names were suggested, tried on for size, and ultimately discarded. None seemed exactly right. Famous persons were too pertinent to certain locale, historic landmarks were similarly too specific. Since we all come from a much broader area, representing a number of cities, towns and villages in the lake country, we had to choose a name that would truly signify this diversity and yet this coming together for a common purpose.
One interpretation of the Indian name, Oconomowoc, is 'where the waters meet". Oconomowoc is the central location for civic activity and has been the hub, the focal point since its beginning in 1837. Then, as now, like the spokes of a wheel, all pathways lead into its core. Indian trails from all directions converged here; the trails became rustic roads once the white settlers homesteaded; finally the roads became the busy thoroughfares of today.
What better name could we call ourselves as we joined forces to pursue the study of antiques and the encouragement of historic preservation, than HERITAGE TRAILS? Once examined, the name fit perfectly and was accepted not only unanimously but enthusiastically as well.
John S. Rockwell
Kishwauketoe - The Geneva Lakes area was first inhabited by the Potawatomi Indians. The lake was called "Kishwauketoe" meaning "Lake of Sparkling Waters".
Monterey - Between 1835 and 1850, four city sites were platted. They were Wisconsin City, Rockport, Koshkonong and Monterey. Monterey was platted by Ira Miltimore in 1850. The Miltimore home still stands at the foot of Monterey bridge.
The city of Janesville, incorporated by a special act of the Legislature in the year 1853, included the territory formerly embraced in the platted towns of Monterey and Rockport, which resulted in the separation from the original territory of the Town of Rock.
Ira Miltimore's idea of the city of Monterey was gone, but the park, the bridge, a hotel, and a rock cave used by the Indians still carry the name of MONTEREY.
Prairie du Lac - Joseph Goodrich, a staunch abolitionist, and his friends Henry Crandall and James Pierce arrived at Du Lac Prairie on July 16, 1838. Goodrich took out his shovel, dug in the dirt, liked what he saw, and said "This is where I want to live." Mr. Goodrich bought claims in Section 26 and 27 from Mr. Storrs, and Mr. Crandall bought claims on section 28. Mr. Crandall returned to New York for his family while Mr. Goodrich remained to erect a little house on his claim. The pioneers all built on the edge of the timber or groves, in fact did not believe the center of the large prairies could ever be made into homes or farms. To them it seemed liked going out into a sea or lake. But Mr. Goodrich though all the rich large prairies would be settled, and made into farms. He drew an airline on the map from Chicago to Madison, and also from Janesville to Fort Atkinson (each of the latter then having one house), and found they crossed each other on the center of this little prairie, and on his claim and he therefore located his house, the first in the Village. (History of Rock County 1889).
How could we not: accept naming our chapter, when it was suggested: Prairie du Lac #551.
Prairieville Pioneers - In 1839, the white people who came to the Waukesha County area found the Potawatomi Indian tribe inhabiting the land. The white man aw established dwellings stretching over the prairie and named the surrounding country Prairie Village. Later in the same year, the Wisconsin legislature formally shortened the name to Prairieville. In 1846, the area became a county and took the name Waukesha.
Most members of this Chapter reside in various villages, towns and cities in Waukesha County. Thus, the original name of the area is the common denominator for many in the chapter.
Swiss Attic Fanciers - based in the Monroe, Wisconsin area, this chapter's name refers to the large population with Swiss heritage, and their love of searching for antiques...in spots likely to yield treasures - attics! As well as other locations, of course.